The cardinal rule of fashion is that there are no rules…but we also know that is somewhat deceptive. Yes, in 2011 Lady Gaga wore meat with a surprisingly low amount of publicity for all the rule breaking and for the fact that she literally wore stinky, raw platforms on her feet! Still, just because it had been put out there and shot by the paparazzi, it did not make it acceptable for anyone else to try the carnivorous look, just unoriginal. So if you know you need some guidelines to keep from looking too drab or veering in the opposite direction mirroring the zany Lady herself, here are some tips to keep you on the right track.
- Plan ahead- Pick out your outfit in advance. I know what you’re thinking. The idea triggers memories of your preschool days when you slept in your clothing the night before to make the process in the morning easier for your parents. Or you are thinking that you only carefully select your outfit beforehand for an important event, like a business meeting or a date to wow someone special. However, by doing this you ensure that even if you wake up late you don’t have to settle for the closet thing in your reach and hoping it’s not wrinkled, dirty, or tight. Select something, try it on, walk around it, get excited to wake up and looking fabulous.
- Comfort is key. This is not just about skipping out on a 6 inch heel lace up boot and banning skin tight dresses that require a team to zip from your closet, but also discovering your personal style. If you think something is pretty but not quite for you, don’t wear it. Once it’s off the hanger, you’re the model roaming around in it, and it is only important that you feel great.
- Keep it simple. This rule is not to designed limit you. It is however, important for you to start basic and build up from there. Once you get the hang of fashion it is fun to experiment with funky hats or mixing silver and gold jewelry. If you start off in your quest for style wearing a top with clean lines, basic jeans, flats, and a necklace you’ll instantly look not only rich, but like you know exactly what you are doing.
- Follow the lead of others. I am not telling you to dress just like everyone else! There is no need to even follow trends but people watching for ideas or browsing the web for inspiration can push you forward a great deal on your quest for sensible style. It will help you decide what you are fond.
- Learn from your mistakes. If you see a bad picture where you look frumpy or outdated, ask yourself what about the outfit does not seem to work. Laugh about your mistake, realize everyone makes them and move on. Keep in mind what you learned; maybe yellow stripes really aren’t for you, or you see why on your petite frame a coat past your knees is a no-no.
- Do not forget to have fun. Like I said before, there technically are no rules…I simply listed tips. Try lots of things on, discover what you love, and flaunt your style with confidence.