Wear the Paint… or win it! How would you like to get this fun and cheeky tee perfect for the warm weather coming your way? Wear the Paint is sponsoring a contest to receive their “Caution” short sleeve shirt. All you have to do is enter using the form below. The contest runs from 5/7/14- 5/25/2014. Be sure to complete any field that is marked as mandatory. Completing any optional fields scores you additional entries.
It had been a long time since I’d seen a hand painted shirt. I did have a blast boasting a homemade t-shirt slathered in puffy paints for Girls Scouts in third grade– if that counts for anything– but I can’t recall any sartorial Pollock or Monet spottings since. All the better for Wear The Paint’s timing. The ladies of the company are determined to bring crafty hand painted tops back to the forefront of fashion. Last week the new company launched their e-commerce site wearthepaint.com where they sell hand painted tees and sweatshirts for men and women. I love the cute branded tote they wrapped the purchase in! The style is laid back and fun, and the truly hand painted products have a personal touch. Due to the nature of the creation there may be subtle differences with each individual item.
The ladies try to keep the concept modern with in-your-face words, masterpiece replicas (I love the starry night tee!) and other fun design like strawberry hued hearts. The background canvas is very simple and draws attention to the design… it also gives the items an arts and crafts feel. I found their Facebook page and learned a bit more about how the ambitious duo work as a power team. The two friends stay up late designing products and even modelling for the site. Support these awesome entrepreneurs by buying one of their reasonably priced shirts or baggy sweatshirts with inspiring pictures or words.
My picks are:
Tesselated Heart Tee- $20
Feather Sweatshirt- $50
Here’s how I wear the paint!
Sweatshirt, Wear The Paint
Jeans (cut into shorts) J & Company
Some women are shoe people, others have an affinity for cocktails rings. Me? I’m tempted by dresses and sleepwear. That’s why I couldn’t keep my eyes off of the cute products from Luva Huva. Joanna Ketterer is the designer behind Luva Huva, a lingerie and lounge-wear shop on Etsy. She sells a sweet and simple selection of undergarments, chemises and other comfy items to hang around in. The brand is different from its competitors because of the environmentally ethical fabrics used such as, organic cotton, bamboo, soy and hemp. I was confident I would like what I received when I saw the 100% approval rating from 115 customers! Joanna sent me an pair of classic white “knickers” (the products are made in the UK) with gathered elastic which makes ruffled edges topped with a pretty blue bow in front. (The middle pair in the top left picture.) The underwear may seem expensive, ($25 for the basic pair) but shipping anywhere in the world is free over $40, not to mention the high quality materials which feel a lot softer than the stiff glittery ones sold by PINK. Even though Valentine’s Day is over, the box set is the perfect anytime gift for a friend. They fit true to size and feel great! These are my picks:
Slip and panty set- $98
Japonica Short- $29
Still looking for the perfect Valentine’s day outfit? Check out what Motel Rocks has to offer, here are three reasons why I’m loving Motel Rocks right now! Hint: Valentine’s Day apparel is number two!
1. You can get 15% off with the discount code “fashionscoop.”
2. They have tons of spirited apparel
3. There is a contest right now to win 10,000 pounds to Motel Rocks! I know that’s British currency, but I believe it is open internationally. It ends on February 18th, so be sure to enter before then! Click here to enter now on Facebook.
*Pictures from Motel Rocks
I’m always looking for new, inexpensive places to shop, so I was grateful when I found Soie Shop, an online retailer that sells dresses and tops with low price tags and a healthy sprinkling of sparkles. I was lucky enough to receive two products from the company, a dress and a top.
I ordered the Studded Hardware Blouse.The shirt was better than I had imagined! Online it was hard to tell what material it was because the picture made it look thin and gauzy. In real life, it’s sheer (the fabric you would expect) with pretty gold and silver studs on the collar. It has hidden buttons and a sleeve button so it can be rolled up. It comes in a magenta, blue, or black, and I decided to go with black because I can literally wear it with everything! My only complaint is that its static material attracts hair and fuzz. Be sure to travel with a lint-roller! The shirt fits true to size and is intentionally longer in the back.
The other item, the sequin embellished day dress, is beige and luckily it doesn’t wash me out, even with my pale skin. It has two colored stripes on the bottom and the quarter top is embellished with hologram sequins. They look nice but they are bright so it’s crucial that you like shine if you consider buying this dress. The middle is cinched with a simple matching tie. Although it is light, it has an attached slip which is thick enough that you can’t see any undergarments. A huge plus since I have so many summer dresses that are a tad too transparent. In the back, the spaghetti straps are closer together and create a racerback shape instead of the subtle v in the front. This dress would be great for a summer picnic, yet it is still fancy enough for an indoor party.
Love what you see? From now until Valentine’s Day you can get 30% off! Free shipping is available with any purchase over $50. Below are more of my favorites. Which is yours?
These are my other picks:
LeeLee’s Accessories is an Etsy shop that sells jewelry and hats. The owner, LeAnn sent me one of her designs, a triangle statement necklace in coral (on left) and gold earrings set (below). You can purchase the necklace in lavender or black, all with gold caps on each triangle point which match the stud earrings perfectly! No false advertising here. The necklace looks exactly as it does in her pictures, and it arrived quickly in a cute pink organza bag. On Etsy, LeeLee’s Accessories has a perfect 100% feedback rating. I’ve seen similarly styled necklaces that are flimsy and double the price. This one is easy to clasp, has an adjustable chain, and is durable but lightweight. The set is only $15, so it’s the perfect gift for any female. I’m wearing the necklace at it’s tightest point so it can hang an inch or two longer than shown. I also do not have pierced ears, but I found a great way to style the earrings. I added them as embellishment to my button down shirt, and I love the subtle, easy transformation. Of course they also look good in your ear. Right now you’ll only find jewelry in her store, but she also sells fedoras with ribbon bands in the summertime.
Below are a few of my favorites from her shop:
Every month I will feature five stores or websites and their best “Just In Stock” products. I’ll showcase about five pieces from each company covering with something for everyone as far as price and age group. It will be a great chance to drool over lustworthy garments, get to the good stuff before it’s sold out, and hopefully discover and rediscover new shops. Let the fun begin!
Snooki might be known for her wild partying but this year she got a fresh start as a mother. Since settling down, parenting has not been her only project; she collaborated with Style Queen to create four accessory lines for their website.
Style Queen is a website primarily targeting young adults or brides-to-be with swanky looking jewelry at affordable prices. They sent me the Shooting Star Ring which has an adjustable band so it fits the way I want it. I also like how the design decorates a large part of my upper hand but only circumscribes one finger so I get full flexibility. While some celebrities design clothing that doesn’t reflect their personal style, Snooki incorporated her obvious trademarks such as spikes, cat ear headbands, and blinged out faux-gold and silver. My one critique is that based on my experience, the products aren’t created to last forever. The finish will fade and the metal may break if you start to pull or play with it. Be kind to your jewelry by stashing it on a hang-up rack so it doesn’t get tangled or lost. This way, you’ll have a better chance of keeping around your pretty Style Queen bargains forever.
These are my picks:
Firework Earrings- $60
June Necklace- $40
Snake Coil Bracelet- $30
Bam Bam Barrette- $10
*Pictures from Style Queen
I love finding out about new brands, so I was ecstatic when I came across the sophisticated clothing and accessories site, Nimli.com. The dresses on the site are packed with personality and are designed in flattering hues. You’ll love their platforms which give you plenty of height, and their flats are perfect for people who demand style without suffering from achy feet. Best of all, they sell pashmina scarves with twenty-five colors to choose from. If you don’t own a pashmina you might not know how amazing they are, but I’ll fill you in. They are the perfect accessory: to keep you warm, to wear indoors and outside, to spice up a basic look, etc. Plus, you can wear them so many different ways! I made up a brief list of some options below.
1. Wrap it up like a snood
2. Let it hang down and belt it with your top
3. Casually toss it over one shoulder
4. Wear it over your head and toss it over you shoulder. Make sure you’re wearing sunglasses so people confuse you with a movie star
5. Knot it in the front
6. Where it as a shawl with a matching sleeveless dress to keep warm and look cute
Time for the great news! Nimli.com is giving a Classic Pashmina Shawl ($85 value) to FIVE lucky winners! Rules:The contest is open to US residents only. It will be open from December 13th- December 26th at 12am. You must “like” Nimli.com on Facebook and “like” Fashionscoopblog.com on Facebook to enter. If you are declared a winner and your entries are invalid, a new winner will be drawn.
The spacious Japanese owned store, UNIQLO, only has a three branches in the United States, but the international chain is growing with locations in California and New Jersey opening by early October. Consider yourself lucky if you’re among the few with local access. They currently have a website featuring products but it lacks e-commerce capabilities. The store is renowned for its low prices and clothing technology with sweat-wicking products and insulating thermals. Their central focus is functionality and comfort rather than style, although it can be fun to mix and match their easy to pair products with their large palette of color options. Here are my tips:
1. The no-frills style clothing means it is an excellent place to shop for well made basics. Sweaters, for instance, are designed with a variety of necklines and come in an array of colors. You can even find cashmere with a price tag below $100. Be sure to check out the store if you’re looking for business casual separates or lounge/workout wear.
2. The prices are low, but you have to search the store for their “super deals.” When I went, every corner had something cute for a cheap amount. However, it blends in with the other merchandise so keep your head up and your eyes scanning.
3. The unique selling factor with UNIQLO is their technology used to enhance the purpose of the clothing. They have down coats which may not be very cute but can at least prevent you from looking like a marshmallow with its extremely lightweight stuffing made from real down and feathers. The bras come without a stubborn, pointy underwire. Other specially marked items are great for the gym or a hike. They use HEATECH technology which warms up the body and keeps in body heat, as well as AIRism which has wicks away moisture to keep your body cool and clean. Plus, they are always working on special collaborations. Right now they have teamed up with the brand Velvet which produces simple and loose pieces often made in a soft cotton (not real velvet). Instead of pushing their boundaries they found a brand that fulfills similar needs as their own products– clothing you’ll want to get dressed in and wear all day that won’t interfere with your personally celebrated style that uniquely all your own. Here are some of my top picks:
Free People, the most whimsical of the Urban Outfitters, Anthrologie, and Free People triple threat company, provides fashion with a combination between Western vintage and modern hippie. It’s easy to recognize a Free People piece based on its construction, patterns, and fabrics even though the style can hardly be compressed into a single word though boheme is the most fitting. You’ll find a mix of the trends (they incorporated neon a lot last few years and carry lace and hook-eye bralettes) and the items that celebrate quirkiness and originality (bell bottom patchwork jeans anyone?). Here are my picks and some shopping tips:
1. The sizing can be a little off. If something if meant to fit tighter it will certainly hug your body and you’ll want to find the size you regularly wear. However, if you pick up a loose shirt or dress, it will probably of slip off your shoulders or slink far past your hips. Make sure you determine whether or not you’ll need a camisole underneath and pair it with the right undergarments. I’ve purchased a bunch of their baggier tops and almost had a wardrobe malfunction because I paid attention to the label rather than the appearance.
2. Free People has a line Intimately Free People with all types of goodies. While all intimates are under this collection, not everything in it the collection is falls under the categories of undergarments, sleep wear, or lounge wear. For example, there are a lot of bodycon dresses, sweatshirts and even slips that can be worn outside the home. Use your own discretion to determine how it would look best. If your answer is “the bedroom” keep it in your “for inside eyes only” drawer to stay modest.
3. On their website they have a huge vintage stop. Because those pieces are truly one of a kind they sell out quickly. Right now they are selling ten different collections ranging from Military and Lace to retro Missoni. The items are not returnable but the website provides exact measurements, and rating of the condition, and infrequently the era.